Medieval & Modern sessions in the Gallery
Workshops at Lighthouse exploring a different theme each week, led by Michelle in the main Gallery at Lighthouse Poole’s Centre for the Arts, 21 Kingland Road, Poole, Dorset, BH15 1UG.
Inviting everyone with an interest – or just plain curiosity – to come and join in, collaborate, share ideas and see where they lead. The more the merrier – I want as many people as possible, from as many different walks of life, perspectives and experience to come – it’s through the diversity and variety of points of view that we learn most from each other and when interesting magical things happen!! Please share, bring your friends… Suggested donation £2.50. Book into one of these workshops via Lighthouse box office 01202 280 000 or mail me directly to reserve a place.
Week 1 Medieval & Modern Measuring
How Long Is a Piece of String? – Medieval & Modern Measurements
Some of the artwork in the exhibition was inspired by the Medieval practice of Measuring to the Saint – measuring a person from head to foot. Time and space were measured and experienced quite differently in those days – find out just how long a league and a furlong are, see how far medieval hours and minutes went and where your own length in string might lead you…
- Monday 14 Jan 2pm – 3pm workshop for Lighthouse staff
- Tuesday 15 Jan 2pm – 3:30pm Measuring Workshop + Michelle is in the gallery all day from 10am-4pm
Week 2 Medieval & Modern Mapping
Re-Framing Our World – Medieval & Modern Mapping
Arguably, the 13th century Mappa Mundi wasn’t a map at all, but a storytelling tool to explain the known and unknown worlds. Using the Mappa Mundi and local Google StreetView as possible starting points, learn to make sense of your surroundings and your relationship to it in different ways. Challenge what a map is for and how it helps you make a journey. Map a personal ’pilgrimage’ and see what unfolds… a creative mapping workshop that will give you new tools to use when you next make a journey, either real or imagined.
- Thursday 24 Jan 10am – 12pm Mapping Workshop
- Friday 25 Jan 1pm – 3pm Mapping Workshop + Michelle is in the gallery all day from 10am
Week 3 Medieval & Modern Stories
“Oyeh, Oyeh! in 140 characters or less? – Medieval & Modern Stories“
News and stories travelled faster than we might imagine in Medieval times in all sorts of ways. If William Cragh’s miracle story happened today, it would be perfect Twitter and Instagram content – it would go viral, no doubt. What would the headlines be? Which images would accompany the text and in which language would that be? What would be considered ok and not ok? How does the past intertwine with the present? How far and how long could a story spread? How has storytelling changed? What can we learn from then and use today?
- Thursday 31 Jan 10:30pm – 12:30pm Stories Workshop + Michelle is in the gallery all day from 10am – 6pm
- Friday 1 Feb 2pm – 4pm Stories Workshop + Michelle is in the gallery all day from 10am – 6pm
- Saturday 2nd Feb – Michelle will be in the Gallery all day 10am – 4pm
Week 4 Medieval & Modern Buildings & Landscapes
Do you see what I see? – Medieval & Modern Buildings & Landscapes
The local landscape of Poole and Dorset, here as in most places, has drastically altered over the past 700 years. Standing here now, what might it have looked like then? How did people see the world around them, how did they experience it and move through it?
Has architecture actually changed that much since Medieval times? How were buildings designed and built and what’s changed since? What was the plan for the town as a whole?
What can we see of then now – where are the ghosts, the clues, the ‘proof’? What can we learn from the very earth itself? In which ways is this useful in thinking about how we design and create buildings and landscapes in the future?
- Monday 4 Feb 5pm – 7pm Poole History Forum meeting & Gallery Tour with Michael Spender (members only)
- Tuesday 5 Feb 2pm – 4pm Landscapes Workshop + Michelle is in the gallery all day from 10am – 6pm
- Friday 8 Feb 10:30am – 12:30pm Landscapes Workshop + Michelle is in the gallery all day from 10am – 6pm
Week 5 Medieval & Modern Journeys
On Pilgrimage… Medieval & Modern Journeys
In the 13th century, if you wanted to travel safely in England or abroad you went on Pilgrimage – it was the Medieval version of Tourism today. What do we know of pilgrimages originating here in Poole? What was a journey of this kind like? Where and how far could you go? Who with? How often? Why? Where were the most popular destinations?
- Monday 11 Feb Dementia-friendly Gallery Tour with Anna Shiels Advance booking essential – to book please telephone Anna on: 07779 880 379
- Wednesday 13 Feb 2pm – 4pm Journeys Workshop + Michelle is in the gallery all day from 10am – 7pm
- Friday 15 Feb Michelle will be in the Gallery all day then 18:00 – 20:00 Closing Event – The Gallery – Come and see how it’s all changed…